Sunday, September 25, 2005

Mangosteens full stop

Today was a glorious day. For the first time ever I found mangosteens in the US -- at a Thai market in Silver Spring. And not the syrupy canned ones that taste like generic canned fruit. But they're frozen and thawing for tomorrow morning's taste test. So... we'll see. Still, a glorious moment. Enough for a mangosteen party.

Although I've found overripe mangosteen in Montreal, I've had two explanations for why they can't be found in the US (or at least not by me): 1. they spoil easily (they ship from SE Asia); and even when I bought them in Japan they were overripe. 2. US agricultural regulations won't allow their importation. I've heard tell, however, of mangosteens appearing in San Francisco's Chinatown markets.

First photo is by an unknown photographer. Second is by Jim Richter. Third is by Dave.






No comments: