Thursday, July 27, 2006

American terrorism

[Via The Weblog] a rundown of some of the US' dabblings in terrorism.

Incidentally, I live in DC not far from where Salvador Allende's Ambassador to the US and former government minister, Orlando Letelier, was blown up in 1976 by a car bomb which also killed an American assistant (at Sheridan Circle on Massachusetts Avenue). The bombing was carried out, so it is said, by Pinochet regime thugs (an American and several anti-Castro Cubans) with - controversially - the understanding of George Bush's CIA. Next time you're in DC, take a look at the small plaque at Sheridan Circle in honor of Letelier.

3 comments:

MT said...

Well at that time it seems Castro already had been credited secretly for doing us one much better.

helmut said...

The whole JFK assassination thing is just plain confusing. I've really never seen anything that makes me seriously doubt the original account. The official account, however, is murky enough that it inspires alternative accounts.

But... seems to me a case of picking and choosing whichever account you prefer.

Letelier, at least, was a fairly clear-cut case.

MT said...

I never had the slightest interest in Kennedy conspiracy theories and didn't even see the Oliver Stone film. The newly advanced Castro connection seemed sensible and credibly documented, but I don't know what competition it has or who I might be calling a liar by saying I believe it.