Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Academic Blogging

Steve G, based on a question posed by Janet Stemwedel, raises the eternal virtual question of whether academic blogging ought to be counted as a service. Janet asks this question,
"Will tenure and promotion committees -- especially in the sciences -- come to see blogging as a valuable professional activity? When? What will it take to bring about this change?"
Steve expands the question,
Blogging is one way to be a public intellectual, to participate in wider conversations about topics in which you have training and background and therefore could hopefully make substantive contributions. Scientists are technicians in a largely scientifically illiterate society in which science and technology play more and more central roles. They already have professional obligations to do research and advance their field and to teach students (training some to be the next generation of scientists and teaching the large majority the basic foundations of their field). As it currently stands there is virtually nothing in the professional reward structure to encourage this third service component to the wider society. By virtue of having specialized expertise, do scientists take on a special obligation to be significant contributors to the general discourse around matters that have scientific components? Should we see those scientists who don't so participate as having failed to live up to social expectations? Or are the advances they make to their science and the teaching itself their contribution?...

...Do other occupations, or perhaps all occupations, also come along with moral imperatives to contribute to the broader society? Do philosophers have an obligation to write op-eds on ethical issues?....
I used to think that the answer to these questions was a blanket "yes." I'm not so sure now. What changed?

For one thing, an academic blog risks being a bore for both the reader and the writer. I still like the idea of taking academic discussions out of academia and into the virtual world. Lots of terrific blogs do this (think Steve G himself, Balkinization, Pharyngula, Juan Cole, Mad Melancholic Feminista, Peter Levine). I also think there's an obligation for any academic to communicate potentially important ideas outside of academia as well as to draw problem-solving sustenance from things other than theoretical academic disputes. But I, personally, don't want to be constrained by the topics, rhetoric, and style of academia when it comes to blogging. It's not as if this here blog is terribly iconoclastic. That's not the point. The point is that blogs written by academics ought to be open to being something other than academic blogs. If academic blogging ends up qualifying as a "service," then it will likely be constrained by the expectations placed on academics in the non-virtual life of the academy. If not, what criteria would be used? For example, although I'm an academic (for now), I wouldn't call this blog an academic blog. Sometimes I want to write about academic issues; sometimes I want to write about whatever comes to mind. This is not to say that I have the right attitude about blogging. I probably don't. It's simply to say that if this blog was judged in terms of "service," it probably wouldn't look at all like it does (for better or worse).

The way academia functions has a lot left to be desired anyway. Would we wish blog-service to be considered based on the number of readers, "prestige" of the blog, link ranking, advertising revenue? Much as academics say they dislike the characterization, the quality of work is often reduced to quantities (analogously, everyone disdains GRE scores as a measure of the quality of a student, but every department strives to have higher GRE scores from incoming students - money and prestige are involved). A massive amount of publications, regardless of their quality and importance (and there are well-known philosophers who have made their careers writing essentially the same paper over and over), almost always outweighs a smaller amount of more thoughtful pieces. "Research" and number of publications almost always outweighs influential teaching. A nice fit in the orthodox characterizations of problems and the going discourse almost always outweighs looking creatively at actual problems - academic or not - and to what can be done to alter a moribund discourse. Schmoozing trumps quiet generosity. Fashion almost always trumps creative idiosyncrasy. Money almost always trumps loyalty and commitment.... All of this is pretty much a reflection of society itself, at least for American academia and society. Would we want these factors to determine how academics blog? If blogging was deemed to be a service for the sake of tenure review, wouldn't these factors be precisely how blogs are considered? Out go the moldy fruit photos....

The set of ethical questions Steve asks is indeed broader than the one Janet asks. For philosophers, I think the proof is in the pudding. There are lots of technologies academics are encouraged to use - Powerpoint, Blackboard, etc. Personally, I like the good old chalkboard and an open discussion. Not all technologies are worth using. Blogging is different, however, because ideally it can be an extension of teaching and research or simply a way of encouraging a more intelligent public discourse. Blogging is not about efficiency. And it involves feedback. This puts it on a par with the op-ed, the public lecture, pro bono work, and so on.

Is there an ethical obligation to do this work? You know what I think. But I don't think that there is an ethical obligation to do this work in any particular kind of way, and I'm afraid blogging-as-a-service would be overly reductive and perhaps even further entrench some of the worst current traits of academia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helmut,

"If academic blogging ends up qualifying as a "service," then it will likely be constrained by the expectations placed on academics in the non-virtual life of the academy. If not, what criteria would be used?"

I fully agree that this is a worry and that this possibly could kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Not only is writing or speaking to the public seen as selling out or not doing "real" work, but to do it on a blog where you might have fun (gasp) in addressing interesting issues surely means that you are doing nothing of value...nevermind that what you are doing is probably so much more valuable, more influential than your actual research.

GreenSmile said...

Perfesser! Notice that there button you hit every time you blog: its says "Publish". That, to a 1st order approximation is what you are doing when you blog....only usually without peer review or much interfence from an editor or your department chair.

Now recall the slightly dated but probably still applicable maxim of academic survival: "publish or perish". If the quality of your blogging is such as to inform a wider audience than paid to sit in your class in the why and how of your field of expertise then you are doing exactly that publishing that is demanded.

Would I, a software researcher in Massachusetts even know there was a campus in Morris, MN were it not for phyrangula? Not likely. My opinion is that blogging by academics has the potential to enhance both the field of study and the institutions. If you ask for that to be included in judgements of an academic career [tenured blogger!] you also cede a degree of the freedom of speech that blogging represents to the common blogger.

Ideally the choice of whether to have ones blogging included in their CV should be an individual one rather than a blanket institution policy. But if you can keep yourself from getting Dooced, you can have it both ways.

helmut said...

I think that's wise, Greensmile. And I seem to have hit upon it this wisdom. I don't put blogging on my cv. I'm not sure I want my colleagues reading the blog. That way, I can still say "shit," "asshole," and stuff. My colleague, Peter Levine, does the same with his blog, I think (not the dirty words part, but keeping quiet about it at work). We happened to find each other virtually while we have offices right next door to each other. But others in my institute don't appear to know much about our blogging.

I think I like it this way. It's not hard to find Phron by googling my real name. I post under it elsewhere. With my students, I'll leak the existence of the blog to them once I know them and trust them. But I don't advertise it. I don't have any great fear about someone important to my career seeing something inappropriate on the blog. That's not it.

It's simply that I want to maintain a certain level of freedom in blogging. I don't think I can do that by advertising it to colleagues and students, because I then define much more precisely who my potential audience is. I retain relative anonymity because I'm not in a position currently where I fully trust that the blog would not have an effect on non-virtual stuff or that it wouldn't matter.

Maybe PZ is like this. He's tenured after all. I'm in a research institute (within an academic school of public policy) where no one is on a tenure system, everyone is on soft money, and this means that there's a certain amount of maintaining appearances involved. Not that I'm a lefty radical, but if I were publicly, it would be all that much more difficult to scrounge up funding, if not impossible. The external funds route is inherently conservative, in the broad sense. Funding usually doesn't correspond with radically innovative projects, but rather with projects that make sense in the context of other ongoing projects or in the context of a given normative or political climate.

See what I mean? I think there are structural issues within the way academia works that present serious challenges to blogging itself, rather than the other way around. That consideration seems to play almost no role in discussions about linking blogging with academic service.