Friday, May 01, 2009

The Pig Shall Lay Down with the Lamb

This is a great little series the Guardian has going: "My Best Shot," a series of photographers discussing, well, their best shot. Taken collectively, it's a perhaps unintentionally fascinating study of the nature of a "best shot," and what kinds of deliberation and judgments lead one to the assessment of "best." I'm not sure I can call anything a "best" unless given only the choice between something really good and something really bad. Too many bests, too many worsts, and all important.

The photos below are clearly not like each another - the very meaning of "best" is something very different in each. One of my favorites is probably Jem Southam's (above - click to enlarge). Something makes me uncomfortable, however, about judging it to be creepy, as Southam does.

From top to bottom, best shots by Ed Ruscha, Polly Borland, Steve McCurry, Roger Ballen, and Rut Blees Luxemburg.

No comments: