Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bits and Pieces - April 30, 2011

One of the things I love about the internet is that I get to meet people I wouldn't have otherwise. Here are a couple of artists worth knowing.

Jeffrey Lewis tries to track down a quote attributed to Enrico Fermi. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to that one; I would have attributed it to Edward Teller. I've certainly heard it from his students and acolytes enough times.

Dana Milbank breaks with the cool kids.

Bad news! The Armchair Generalist is going silent.

What we might learn from the Greg Mortenson debacle: "the search for the next killer app or the next big star makes us vulnerable to fads and, simply, to the characteristic failures of many organizations focused on a single person or a single gripping idea." Journalists, are you listening? Progress is more often incremental, boring by newsy standards.

Thirty-six years ago today, the Marines left Saigon. The predictions of what would happen next were as dire as those about Afghanistan today. And they were wrong. Something to think about. Government policy folks, are you listening?

So this gorgeous female who is interested in missile technology wants to be your friend on Facebook and follows you on Twitter? What do you do? Give her the secrets she asks for, of course, if you're a guy. Hey, it's worked before.

1 comment:

John Emerson said...

Please route the honeypots to me. I will tell them everything I know almost immediately.